Best Practices: What growth mindset strategies lead to a sense of belonging and self-efficacy for students?
Professional Development: What UNT professional development opportunities support growth mindset and an inclusive student experience?
Syllabus Development: How can the syllabus be used as a tool for inclusion?
Mindset Assessments: How can beliefs about the malleability of intelligence, status of learning, and attitude about struggle and failure be measured?
Research: What studies provide a measurable effect of mindset on student success?
Literature, Podcasts, and Videos: What literature and audio-visual resources support growth mindset theory?
10 Inclusive Teaching Practices: Explore ten inclusive teaching practices that benefit faculty and students.
- A Growth Mindset Approach to Establishing Expectations: Ensure your messaging conveys a consistent growth mindset throughout the term.
- Growing the Growth Mindset: Best Practices for College Instructors: Learn Stanford University’s tips and takeaways for mindset pedagogy.
- Meaning Makers: Cultivating Growth Mindset Environments: Uncover successful strategies for implicit and explicit mindset communications from three separate controlled studies.
- Mindset Kit: Select online lessons and practices for fostering adaptive beliefs about learning.
- MIT Teaching + Learning Lab: Growth Mindset: Model growth mindset in the classroom by employing practices recommended by MIT’s Teaching + Learning Lab.
- Cultivating a Growth Mindset: Learn how a culture of growth mindset within organizations is the foundation for resilience and persistence from UNT System’s Organizational Development and Engagement.
- Fostering a Growth Mindset in Higher Education: Develop an understanding of mindset and the impact it can have on students and faculty.
- Growth Mindset: Sample ideas for encouraging student success through activities that encourage a growth mindset.
- Syllabi Review: Ensure student messaging promotes a sense of self-efficacy by engaging with UNT instructors to review and revise syllabi using research-based strategies.
- Fall 2022 Book Study: What Inclusive Instructors Do: Read What Inclusive Instructors Do. DSI CLEAR and Faculty Success will host meetings from 2:00–3:00 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month in the Faculty Lounge that will conclude with a visit from the author on February 1, 2023. Registration Link
- The UNT Syllabus: Access UNT Course Syllabi Requirements Policy and the DSI CLEAR Syllabus Template. The syllabus template is a development tool that provides a model for presenting with standards and procedures with growth mindset language.
- First Day Toolkit: Utilize the Student Experience Project’s First Day Toolkit to revise syllabi and other communications students receive to create an inclusive classroom culture and support systems to foster a positive student experience. Apply practical tips for developing syllabi by completing the Student Experience Project’s online module, “Your Syllabus as a Tool to Promote Student Equity, Belonging, and Growth.”
- Inclusive Teaching Practices Toolkit: Explore ten inclusive teaching practices that benefit faculty and students, including syllabus language, suggestions for diversity statements, and opportunities for low-stakes syllabi engagement.
- Measure mindset beliefs by accessing:
- Mindset Survey from Positive Psychology Practitioner’s Toolkit
- Mindset Assessment from MindsetWorks
- Learning Environments Research Brief: Read “Leveraging Mindset Science to Design Educational Environments that Nurture People’s Natural Drive to Learn.”
- Intervention, Evaluation, and Policy Studies: Review “Reducing Inequality in Academic Success for Incoming College Students: A Randomized Trial of Growth Mindset and Belonging Interventions.”
- Intervention, Evaluation, and Policy Studies: Access “STEM Faculty Who Believe Ability is Fixed Have Larger Racial Achievement Gaps and Inspire Less Student Motivation in Their Classes.”
Literature, Podcasts, and Videos
Read Inclusion on Purpose: An Intersectional Approach to Creating a Culture of Belonging at Work to explore how leaders and organizations can foster diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Listen to Dare to Lead: “Inclusion on Purpose" to hear how Ruchika Tulshyan built her B.R.I.D.G.E. Framework around growth mindset.
Watch The Beautiful Truth: Ruchika Tulshyan to uncover why inclusion is key to overcoming organizational barriers to success.
Read Mindset: The New Psychology of Success to weed out false growth mindset messaging and apply growth mindset to the culture within classrooms and groups within an organization.
Listen to The Psychology Podcast: The Latest Science of Growth Mindset with Carol Dweck to discover the effect of teacher mindset on mindset effectiveness.
Watch Carol Dweck’s TED Talk and/or Talks at Google: The Growth Mindset to learn the positive and negative consequences of both mindsets.
Read What Inclusive Instructors Do: Principles and Practices for Excellence in College Teaching to determine what factors an instructor should consider when designing an equitable course.
Listen to Teaching in Higher Ed: What Inclusive Instructors Do (Episode 394) to hear Tracie Addy’s suggestions for creating equitable learning environments.
Watch Webinar: What Inclusive Instructors Do to learn more about the authors of What Inclusive Instructors Do as they share why they wrote the books and highlight the small steps instructors can take to foster an inclusive learning environment.
Read Challenging Mindset: Why a Growth Mindset Makes a Difference in Learning and What to Do When It Doesn’t to examine how mindset theory works and explore the relationship between mindset and grades.